Monday, July 6, 2009

If craig could talk...

If Craig could talk, he'd say, "Just Do It"...

Actually, my mom claims that in 1986, she became the original author of this familiar expression. Mom was a runner from the time she was an undergrad at Georgia Southern University and made laps around campus in blue jeans and Phi Mu T-shirts before there were such things as "running shorts" and dry-fit tanks, and, needless to say, she drew some weird looks. She believed that running, like laughing (as Jimmy Buffett knew), kept you from going insane, especially in the most stressful of times in life, so, it's no surprise that she continued to run while Craig was sickest. Craig's surgeon asked her how and why she could still run with such emotional and physical stress weighing on her heart and body, and in between the exhaustive visits at Craig's bedside. Mom's reply was, "I just do it." Nike birthed the slogan in 1988. Mom had 2 years on them and, looking at this picture, Craig could have been their poster child!

I broke a cardinal rule of running this past week by running the day after my long run in the spirit of continuing tradition. In years past, on the 4th of July, I'm usually running the Peachtree, but wasn't in Atlanta for the festivities this year. Anyways, you should ALWAYS take a day of rest after a long run. Because of this, I can tell I haven't fully recovered physically or mentally, and today's scheduled easy 5 miler is looking like 26.2 to me...then I saw the above picture on my refrigerator, and heard Craig say, "Just Do It".
I'm sold!

No comments:

Post a Comment