Friday, July 17, 2009

In my dreams, I am a Kenyan

Free. Trials. Are. Awesome.
Thank. You. Netflix!
One. Movie. No Question.


A little over two years ago, I signed up for my first marathon. I never made it to that race. I didn't even make it past 15 miles in the mileage buildup in my training schedule. Mostly, over- training delivered the injury to my foot. I was exposing my body to physical demands it had never been asked to withstand. The solution was to stop training and give my foot the rest as ordered. A year or so later, with adequate rest, a sound training plan, and loads of determination I finally completed a marathon. And that's when I knew I was hooked!

I was inspired by the movie, Spirit of the Marathon, about a year and a half year ago, while I was recovering from the failed attempt at my 1st. Spirit of the Marathon illustrates the appeal of the marathon, highlighting various amateurs and marathon's stars as they prepare for the Chicago Marathon. In the six separate stories, each runner shares their inspirations and reasons for taking the challenge. Running a marathon is completely different than any other athletic endeavor if you think about it. There are only a handful, the top elites, that are concerned with winning or can hope for a top 3 finish. These are the ones with a running cadence faster than the fastest mph setting on your average treadmill. Seriously. Everyone else donning a race bib is completing the distance for personal motivations. This "race" is about setting your own goals and not being the best, and being okay with that. Still, though, in my dreams, I am a Kenyan and go on to win lots of marathons.

In the 'spirit' of training for Chicago, it's no surprise I didn't hesitate when prompted to choose the one movie for my queue. My free trial yielded free inspiration!

Again. Thank. You. Netflix.


No comments:

Post a Comment