Monday, June 22, 2009

The Reason

For those of you who don’t know my brother, Craig, it is my pleasure to introduce you!

For those of you who don’t know Craig, it is my pleasure to introduce you. Craig was born with many special needs, but I’ve always said that he is more than the sum of these “disabilities and handicaps” to me. Most of his medical difficulties were due to the abnormal development of his esophagus, trachea, and eyes; more specifically, a Tracheal Fistula, Esophageal Atresia and Anopthalmia. All that medical mumbo-jumbo to everybody just basically means that his esophagus and trachea abnormally connected and his esophagus didn’t finish forming or attach to his stomach. He was also born without eyes. This sounds really weird, but it just looks like anyone else who has his or her eyes closed. These medical issues, from the beginning, have implicated daily, specialized care and attention, along with Craig’s unique developmental needs. Although Craig is unable to talk, walk, or even eat normally, he has no idea he’s any different than you or me.

Craig motivates me to never give anything less than my utmost, stirs my resolve to endure uncomfortable life circumstances and “hard” days, and convicts me that I am to serve and continue to love in every sense of the verb. He is, and always has been happy, felt loved, lived loved, and given love in return. He gives me hope and illustrates limitless-living. His heart is pure and made of all that is good…he’s the reason…

I hope these pictures touch your heart as they touch mine every time I look at them.


Mom and Dad with Craig in the NICU
-1986-
Medical College of Georgia
Augusta, GA

LOVE his BIG smile!

Look at me, I'm covered in OREOS!


Last School Picture
-2008-


I'm 23 now!
-2009-
Home in Athens, GA

For my first marathon, I devoted mile 22 to Craig because that’s how old he was; but this time, Craig has fueled the inspiration behind EVERY one of the 26.2 that I will run in Chicago.

LET US RUN WITH PERSEVERANCE THE RACE MARKED OUT FOR US.
-Hebrews 12:1-2-









2 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration and so is your entire family. This is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome blog, Steph. I always knew you had a passion for what you do in the NICU and now I see where that got started. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete