Saturday, September 19, 2009

20 or bust!

We've peaked!
Emily and me after the 20!

Almost 4 months ago, Emily (the BFF) and I, made a commitment to run the Chicago Marathon together. This will be Emily's first 26.2, and I can't wait for her to love it as much as I do (that is, after she forgets how she feels afterward!)

Even though we are both runners, we have never been able to run together in years because we have always been in different cities. But back in Athens we got the chance to run together twice! Our first was a 13-miler that came on the heels of a "cut-back" week at the beginning of our visit. The second was the infamous-peak-of-marathon-training-
20 miler. Funny enough, during our 3+ hour run we talked about everything BUT running... But when we weren't running, ALL we talked about was running! Those two runs have been my favorite of all during these past few months. I've always been a loner when it comes to logging miles, but running alongside Em beats any day on my own.

For the next three weeks we taper and rest as we decrease our mileage from about 50 miles per week to about 30. Our job is to make sure our glycogen stores are topped off and that we remember sleep is precious (and time well spent)! The hard training is over and on October 11th we will be ready!



No comments:

Post a Comment