Monday, September 28, 2009

T-46 hours and counting...



Trusting the taper, topping off the glycogen stores, and hunker-ing down!


In less than 24 hours I will be arriving in Chicago for my second marathon ever! I am almost too excited to sleep because it feels just like the first.

Today I spent time packing everything from Accel-Gel (gotta go with what works-"never try anything new on race week/day") to arm warmers; planning my trip from the El Train to the hotel so that I know it by heart, and making myself relax (I went to a movie). The best part about it is that my best friend Emily will be waiting for me when I get there...along with the opposite-of-sub-tropical-weather that I am so accustomed to now.

Repeat after me: cold weather good, hot weather bad..."cool weather is a marathoner's dream, and the ideal temperature for running is 48-52 degrees", says Coach Jenny Hatfield of Runner's World Magazine. From the weather reports (which I have compulsively checked all week), it looks like our conditions are going to be perfect as we'll toe the starting line at a crisp 40 degrees and finish at a comfortable 50 degrees.

Actually, the
best, best part is that running this marathon is more than the sum of 26.2 individual miles...it's knowing that I've been able to make a difference and ease a burden in the lives of the kids and their families that attend E.S.P.
Thanks to everyone for support along the way. I look forward to continuing to share this marathon journey with you as I press on.


..........................................................

Frank Shorter, 1972 Olympic marathon gold medalist:

"You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can't know what's coming."







No comments:

Post a Comment