Monday, September 28, 2009

Misadventures in yoga

This is not me :)

"If one could run without getting tired I don't think one would often want to do anything else."
- C.S. Lewis

If I could get up and run every single day, I would. But at some point a body needs recovery. Mom says that I am my father's daughter, and that statement couldn't be more true...

Coming off of the 15K on Saturday, my legs were hoping for a break, and while my heart wanted to be on the roads, my head said "no." I listened to my head this time, though and conceded it was the right thing to do...Sunday should be a day of rest anyway, right?

That afternoon, I was going stir-crazy (there's my Dad in me), but my spirit leapt when I saw that there was a yoga class at the "Y" later. Let me just say that I might actually be the last person on Earth to try yoga, but, again...I needed something, anything, so that I could feel I exercised.

I'm guessing that you've already figured out by the title of this post, that it wasn't a mind-blowing experience. I was definitely the only newbie in the class, too...the instructor asked us to raise our hand if it was our first time, but nobody did...and then I completely chickened out. I was already going to look funny doing the poses, why in the world would I call MORE attention to myself?!

The anti-climactic hour wasn't because of the instructor (who, by the way, was really cool), or the people, or even the poses. In fact, we were encouraged to do only what was comfortable to our bodies. I think the problem is I'm just not yoga-ish. I find it really hard to close my eyes and not look around, "focus" in on a pose, and be "in it." I felt like I was totally missing the point-that everyone else was getting-and wondering why we couldn't just stretch :)

Monday morning, my legs felt fresh and *rested* and I was thankful I didn't run Sunday...and that I went to yoga! It was a lesson in always giving something a shot once, and that resting and doing yoga really does help!


























No comments:

Post a Comment