Saturday, September 26, 2009

Records...made to be broken; Goals...made to be surpassed!


This morning I ran in the Miracle Miles 15K. This race is extra special because it benefits the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Winnie Palmer Hospital, where I'm a nurse. Our tiny babies can't run, so we do!

Today was another milestone in my training program *yay*! I finished the 9.3 miles faster than last year (which was my first goal), and even set a Personal Record! Another wise runner once told me that every race should have three time goals: the best-case scenario, the realistic scenario, and the worst-case scenario. I'm excited to report that I nailed my time goal for the best-case scenario @ 1:14. I began the race really cautious and conservative because of the high temperature and humidity (shocker, I know). But once I hit the first 3 miles in about 23 minutes, and knew I felt comfortable, I kept it steady all the way in. Here are my splits for each mile:
8:02, 7:47, 7:46, 8:03, 8:04, 8:08, 8:11, 7:56 (after the Power Bar Gel--so glad I brought it along!), 7:55 (now it really kicked in!), and 2:27 (for the last .3mi).

The best part...seeing Marshall at mile 5! I had no idea he was going to be cheering for me on the course, and it made me feel so special--thanks, Babydoll! THEN he showed up again at mile 9 to light my fire on my way in to the finish.

My original plan was to run 3 miles after today's race to log the 12 miles required as the long run this week in preparation for Chicago, but I gave 110% effort this morning, and I know those extra 3 would not be functional. SO, I'm going to run 12 easy on Monday, which I feel is a better game plan.

Tomorrow we will be 2 weeks out from the marathon...stay tuned for these last days of training as the final preparation is upon me!


1 comment:

  1. I knew you were having a great run when you passed me at mile 8.....No way I could keep up...Jeff

    ReplyDelete